Thursday, January 28, 2010

Day 300

Finally made it to Great Sage, an all vegan restaurant in Clarksville, MD. We were THIS CLOSE to ordering one of EVERYTHING on their stellar menu.

Started out by ordering a DELISH bottle of Cab- SANTA JULIA CABERNET SAUVIGNON, 2008 Mendoza, Argentina. Bold and robust with berry and floral undertones. (organic grapes). It was right up our alley, totally enjoyable.

Started out with ARTICHOKE SPINACH DIP A warm crock of house-made creamy artichoke spinach dip with Daiya parmesan and toasted crostini. This was by far the best artichoke spinach dip I have ever had in my life. I think it was my favorite thing we ordered for the night as well. Didn't get a decent photo of it, or of most of what we ordered (boooo) which is why the long delay in my posting. I was really bummed that I didn't bring my nice camera. I even had it in my hands and decided not to bring it! What is UP with THAT? :(

Mike got the BASIL POTATO GNOCCHI Savory potato and herb dumplings sautéed with lemon-garlic broccoli in a spicy red pepper sauce topped with Daiya parmesan. I have always been super picky about gnocchi and rarely like it. I loved their version and would even order it for myself.


I got the GRILLED VEGETABLE TERRINE Layered ‘lasagna’ of grilled eggplant, seasonal squash, sun-dried tomato and herbs with spinach and mushrooms over house-made pomodoro. I was not thrilled with their pomodoro and the overall taste was just something I don't think I was really in the mood for. Too eggplanty or something. But not bad.

We ordered a side of RAW cashew herb cheese to give it a try- it's good, really good. It reminded us of the raw vegan cashew based ranch dressing Mike's perfected, and so I'm sure we'll be whipping up our own version of this sometime soon.

For desert, we ordered three things- which is pretty funny since we NEVER order desert. But you offer us a vegan desert we're going to take you up on it. For sure.
Mike got the PEANUT BUTTER CUP CHEESECAKE - Delicate and light cheesecake with chocolate cookie crust and ganache coating. This was very rich and very very flavorful.

I got the SAGE'S FAMOUS CARROT CAKE -A house blend of spices, fresh carrots and gluten free flour with a frosting of cream cheese and chopped walnuts. The cake itself was good, could have used more carrots... but the frosting was DIVINE. SOOO GOOD.

Finally we ordered to take home with us the RAW CHOCOLATE MOUSSE - Extremely rich, powerful and silky smooth, made with raw cacao, Tahitian vanilla and agave nectar. THIS. IS. UNBELIEVABLE.

We also ordered a side of garlic whipped potatoes with red wine mushroom gravy to take home with us, since every-freaking-where you go out to eat they insist on dumping cow puss, oh I mean butter, into their mashed potatoes when they make them. The mashed potatoes were good, really good actually, but what blew me away was the gravy! Holy moses. Better than most other gravies I've ever had. Veggie or omni. DELISH.

No comments:

Post a Comment