Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Day 194

I have to thank TeamAction for being themselves. If they weren't who they are then I may not be as influenced by them. You see TeamFun has a lot in common with TeamAction in a variety of ways, and we love spending time together. TeamAction is half Vegetarian, half Vegan, and have been so for, well I don't know, a year now maybe? Or almost? Anyway, since they've embarked on more compassionate eating, it's gottem me thinking about it WAAY more often. I have made too many to count vegetarian meal choices over including meat since. I read more Vegan/vegetarian blogs, am trying more vegetarian cooking at home, and I'm even buying soley organic veggies (which makes DH very happy in itself :)
I'm not vegan or vegetarian, although I was for years at one point mostly vegetarian- eating only meat that was hunted, as I wanted the animals that I ate to have lived a normal, wild life and not be tortured (you know, no castration while fully awake and without pain meds, no slicing off beaks awake/w/o pain meds, no throwing of male chicks into a wood chipper b/c they're considered "Useless", no living a entire life unable to stand or stretch, the list goes on). I tried being vegan once for a couple months soley to feel the physical effects. I learned from that experiment that dairy is a bitch.
So these days I'm limiting my meat intake. We order bison from a farm that raises them in pasture, they're grass fed, and killed in the field- not anywhere near a slaughterhouse, and with no cruelty. (Some say hunting - such as how this farm kills their bison- is cruel. I think it's natural, it's caveman type of natural). I'm shelling out nearly $5 for a dozen eggs because they're raised humanely- they have lots of room to frolic, they're fed organic foods, they get to keep their beaks, they baby males aren't ground up. I'm saying no to cheese more often (but not entirely, not yet anyway) and have come to like substituting avocado slices for cheese slices.
When I make choices like last night's dinner- lean corned beef and salad- or this morning's breakfast at the cafeteria here- mostly potatoes with a bit of scrambled egg- I always always think about the fact that this meal is not without cruelty. So you see, I'm not perfect, but I'm changing, a little at a time. And it's adding up.

So thanks, Team Action. And thank you, Marissa at Vegan at Heart. And thanks Eric aat esgonevegan. There's a lot of great resources out there. And more and more these days there's LESS Fire-and-Brimestone Vegan PREACHING- something that I would not have started making these changes without.

So, today's post is without pics- at least so far. Instead here are some links:

http://esgonevegan.blogspot.com/
http://www.kindgreenplanet.org/programs/veganatheart/welcome
http://tinychoices.com/
http://soyfreevegan.blogspot.com
http://www.terressentials.com
http://www.myorganicmarket.com/retailer/store_templates/shell_id_1.asp?storeID=A6B40AE98C7842A98FC8DE4784880288
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1bVLSfRNm0 <-- this one is so sweet it had me in tears. The woman who works at the shelter who was almost tearing up as she spoke is what got my tears a'flowin'.

There's more, but that's all for now, folks! I actually have to get to work :-P Hopefully I'll get a pic in today later.

2 comments:

  1. What a great post. It really is all about making small changes and doing what you can. No one is perfect, and all changes matter. This month is my two year anniversary (since I made the decision to become a vegetarian). It took me a little extra time to stop eating sea animals. But I think once you start realizing that you can sustain life, without taking life, it just feels so selfish not to. So I gave up sea animals too.

    Since Steve has become vegan, it has really made me think about living a cruel free life, not just having a cruel free diet. I recently gave up my long relationship with a company I found out tested on animals. I am making small steps, but like I said, every step matters.

    I try to live a life of compassion, and being a vegetarian is in line with that. I can't distinguish between my animals at home (who are like my own kids) and the pigs and cows people eat. They all deserve life.

    Thanks for posting this. And thanks for the shout out. I try very hard not to be one of the "preachy" vegetarians, because I firmly believe that preaching and nagging and making people feel guilty never makes anyone change. Instead I have chosen to live my life as an example. It can be done. And it can be done by someone who literally did not like vegetables when she became a vegetarian. But it was that important to me.

    Love you! And thank you for being YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. <3 Wow 2 years, time flipping FLIES doesn't it?? And I keep forgetting that you hated vegetables when you started vegetarianism. Hell if you- a former veggie hater- can do it, then anyone can! :) very inspiring.

    Compassion is key. As is awareness of and in the moment. Small changes are like baby steps- you can go very far with many small steps. :)

    ReplyDelete